skip to main content
Search: Keyword:
 

  About The School  

History of Springville School

Image for History of Springville School

Springville Elementary School is located at the foot of East River Mountain midway between Bluefield and Tazewell.  Our school serves an area of approximately 20 square miles which includes the communities of Springville, Tip Top, Bailey, Angles Hollow, Lake View, and Hawks Subdivision. 

Springville Elementary is a community school with actively involved parents.  Parents work with the school on many school functions.  The principle occupations of parents are mining, railroading, manufacturing, and light industry.

From the first Springville School House built in the 1870s to today's more modern school, there have been many students and teachers who have passed through the doors with many of its students coming back years later as teachers.  The old school stood on the hill behind Landmark Fuel & Food on Routes 19 & 460 in Springville where a brick house stands today.

The land on which the first school was built was donated by Elias H. and Margaret Harmon and the first school was a one room log structure.  In 1890, another room was added and weather-board siding placed on the outside walls.  Around 1921, that school was replaced with a larger building containing one large room and two folding doors that could be used to make two separate rooms.

There were seven grades in that two-room school until 1947 when another room was added and seventh grade was transported to Bluefield, Virginia since the school was now overcrowded.  By 1958, the seams were bulging again and the fifth and sixth grade students moved to Bluefield, Virginia leaving around ninety students in the remaining four grades.  Springville School first published a yearbook in 1953 and 1954 called "The Acorn."  The school continues to publish a yearbook annually. 

In 1965, the old Springville School gave way to the present building.  This building originally contained seven classrooms, a kitchen, and a lunch room that also served as a gym.  In 1979, construction began on a new wing including five additional rooms and a library. This addition opened for use in February 1980.  Today, Springville Elementary School houses students in Kindergarten through fifth grade.

Information compiled by:  Anthony K. Stephens (February 2005).